I arrived in Taiwan in August '05. As an elementary school teacher from Toronto, I took a leave of absence 2 pursue a teaching position at a public school in Douliu City, Taiwan. Teaching is my passion & it has led me to Taiwan. God opened the door for me..This is my story and my journey..Pls read my testimony on this blog: "Live Strong"...(Nov. archives) "My food, is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work". John 4:34 NIV

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

"Knowing God" Devotional - Thoughts

Adoption: The Highest Privilege
[excerpts taken from "Knowing God", by J.I. Packer, 1973]

ADOPTION is the highest blessing of the gospel because of the rich relationship with God that it involves. "Adoption" gives birth to the idea of "family" and is conceived of a love that views God as father. "Closeness, affection and generosity are at the heart of the relationship" (p.233). Through adoption, we become children of God's family. For out of bondage and destitution, we are loved and cared for by a loving Father. Through this familial tie, a new relationship of forgiveness and acceptance is established.

Adoption: The Basis for our Life
Christian Conduct

Together, with Christ Jesus, our Lord, we are members of the divine family...children of his heavenly father.
"Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother." Mark 3:35

"Just as the knowledge of his unique sonship controlled Jesus' living of his own life on earth, so he insists our lives too.
This teaching is no where more evident than in his Sermon on the Mount." (p.237). The sermon generally and broadly states that the spirit, direction & objectives, the guiding principles and ideals by which the Christians must steer his/her course.

Principles of Christian Conduct

1) Imitating the Father
(..."Be perfect therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."/Be holy, for I am holy'.)
Matthew 5:44-48

2) Glorifying the Father
"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:16

3) Pleasing the Father
Matthew 6:1-18
Concentrate all of our efforts on pleasing God alone.

My Commentary:
So often we center our thoughts on who we can please in life: our employer, family, friends, etc...We want to please others and be likeable because we have prideful hearts and want to be liked by others. However, when does this concentration on a "self-centered" life zero in on a life that has God at the center?

We go to wits end to seek the approval of others and often to such vigor that we lose sight of the very purpose for our actions and that's for God! Could it be that we often find it difficult because we serve and have faith in a God that is invisible? God honors my efforts - whether big or small. In each of the things that I do, I offer a grand worship to Him. It isn't always easy because our society dictates opposing ideas but it's good to often rejuvenate ourselves through quiet mediation and reflection. Through quietness, may our faiths be reenergized to claim the truth that is, in all we do, say, and think, it may be a pleasing & fragrant offering to our Lord. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home